From Moses to Gutenberg, easily find out how we got the Bible we have today and discover why we can trust it with this highly-visual and easy-to-understand handbook on the history of Bible! Dive into the fascinating stories of the people who risked their lives to print and distribute the Word of God (Tyndale, Wycliffe, etc). Perfect for personal or small group use.
Have you ever wondered where the Bible came from? Who wrote the books of the Bible and how did they end up together? Perhaps you have been asked by a friend or coworker about books that were cut out of the Bible. Through seven dynamic chapters in How We Got the Bible, expert Dr. Timothy Paul Jones will guide you through all the important questions about the Holy Bible to show you why it can be trusted. Filled with dramatic stories and highly-visual charts and illustrations, this exciting Bible History handbook will take you from the earliest clay tablets and papyrus copies to the first bound Bible and the various Bible translations that we use today!
With this Bible history handbook, you will discover—
- 3 Ways the Bible is Unlike Any Other “Holy Book”
- What it means when we say that the Bible is inspired and inerrant
- What people did to preserve the text of the Bible over the centuries
- How we know that the Old and New Testament is reliable
- The stories behind names like John Wycliffe, William Tyndale, Gutenberg, and King James I
Explore how God communicates with us through his written Word and how it came to be! Easily understand why the Bible recording process isn’t just a giant game of Telephone. Get a rich overview of Bible history at a glance, whether you’re reading this for your personal enrichment or with your church small group. This book is perfect for young adults and adult studies.
Find Out Fascinating Facts on the History of the Bible
Find out fascinating facts as you get a solid overview of Bible-making history. In a fun and highly visual way, expert Dr. Timothy Paul Jones brings history to life. Enjoy learning important terms, key Scripture, and incredible insight that will help you establish a strong understanding of the Bible’s reliability.
- The text of the Bible is better preserved than the writing of Plato or Aristotle.
- There is more than 99% agreement between all of the known manuscripts of the Bible.
- There are over 5,700 manuscripts of the New Testament compared to 210 surviving copies of Plato.
- Every book in the New Testament was written down before the eyewitnesses of Jesus passed away.
How We Got the Bible Chapters Include—
- Chapter 1: What’s So Special About the Bible?
How We Got the Old Testament
- Chapter 2: How Did the Old Testament Get from God to You?
- Chapter 3: Which Books Belong in the Old Testament?
How We Got the New Testament
- Chapter 4: Can We Trust the New Testament?
- Chapter 5: Who Created the New Testament Canon?
How the Bible Made It from Manuscripts to You
- Chapter 6: How Was the New Testament Copied?
- Chapter 7: Where Did the English Bible Come From?
4 Key Features of the How We Got the Bible Handbook
1. Get a Simple Overview of the history of the Bible (Covers over 3,500 Years)
Enjoy having a concise overview of the Bible’s entire history at your fingertips. All bound in one book, you can firmly grasp what biblical reliability means in six engaging and easy-to-understand chapters, packed with key events and people to deepen your understanding of the history of the Bible:
2. Provides Solid Proofs for Why You Can Trust the Bible
Easily compare today’s Bible with the Dead Sea Scrolls and many more early church records from past centuries to see how carefully the texts have been translated and recorded. Enjoy getting a simple explanation of the Bible’s reliability with basic apologetics.
3. Packed with Fascinating Stories of Key People and Events
History can be a dry and tedious subject – but not with the How We Got the Bible handbook! Easily absorb important facts and information in a fun and easy-to-understand way that will have you not wanting to put this book down. Instead of flipping through volumes of bland history, sit back and take in the exciting stories of William Tyndale, the first century apostles, the Gutenberg printing press, and so much more!
4. Filled with Visual Charts, Definitions, and Additional Resources
Save hours looking up technical terms and searching for extra time lines and charts: it’s all here in one easy-to-understand handbook! With the flip of a page, you’ll find charts simplifying technical definitions, an English Bible Translations Comparison, and references to give you a complete overview of how the Bible was formed.
- Key people including Wycliffe, Tyndale, Gutenberg, and Erasmus
- The Dead Sea Scrolls, the Vulgate, the King James Bible, and today’s modern Bible translations
- Ancient methods and materials used by scribes to hand copy the Bible accurately
- Charts and explanation of how we got the Bible in English and much more!